Saturday, January 03, 2009

Why this blog?

I've read voraciously ever since I learned to read at the age of four. I read everywhere: in bed, in a comfy chair in my living room, in cafés, on my way to work (I usually take the tram), in the car (I don't drive), in the toilet... As a child, I even brought a book along to the sauna :)

I read everything from chick lit to the classics. I also like to read a lot of non-fiction: travel books, memoirs, social history, political stuff etc. And I do read poetry as well. The only two genres I'm really not into are scifi and war books.

I like to read books in the original language, which in my case means Finnish, Swedish, Estonian and English. I've read some books in Russian as well, but that's a bit of a struggle (I really should practice my Russian some more).

So, why this blog? I joined BookCrossing in March 2006 but didn't get active until two years later. I find that BookCrossing has helped me add even more variety to my reading and made my reading more systemical too - what with all the reading challenges ranging from geographical to alphabetical and so on. All this, however, creates a need for some documentation and I decided a blog would be a perfect place to create reading lists and keep track of challenges, not to mention record any thoughts brought on by the books I read. I've created a separate blog for the Geographical Challenge, but everything else will go here. Let's see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I did manage to read last year but everything else had to take a backseat as I had a baby boy in March. I'm going to start afresh this year.

    ReplyDelete